University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Bachelor of Arts: Mass communication (May 2014)
Double minor: Journalism and Spanish studies
GPA: 3.84/4.0, dean’s list every semester, Honors Program, magna cum laude
Study abroad spring 2013: Granada, Spain – took language, art history, flamenco and literature classes in Spanish
Events Manager, Reporter, Westfair Communications, White Plains (Feb. 2015 to present)
Events Manager/Content Strategist, September 2015 to present
•Plan, manage, market and run events targeted to the Westchester and Fairfield County business community, such as CFO of the Year, Doctors of Distinction and the Milli Awards
•Since September, managed seven successful events with 150 to 250 attendees each.
•Currently planning 15 events for 2016.
•Find and secure speakers, panelists and judges and communicate to prepare them for the event.
•Delegate tasks to the sales, production and editorial staff and follow-up to ensure completion.
•Book venues, catering, A/V, entertainment, etc. and negotiate with vendors to stay within budget.
•Challenge myself to improve the department, examples include incorporating video and 3D-printed awards into events, increasing the department’s online presence and introducing a pitching event for startups.
•Write and edit copy for print advertisements; email promotions; social media posts; awards; program scripts; event booklets and press releases.
•Write the “Wonderful Dining” column for Westfair’s lifestyle magazine, WAG.
Reporter, February 2015 – September 2016
•Pitched and reported on local business trends, startups, real estate, nonprofits and more for the company’s two publications, the Westchester and Fairfield County Business Journals.
•Wrote brief stories daily on tight deadlines and wrote two to four full-length stories per week•Took photographs for my stories, many of which were featured on the front page.
Video Editor and Blogger, Office Lease Center, New York, NY (July 2014 – present)
• Write and edit descriptions for videos of office space using real estate terminology and geography of the city.
• Attend events on behalf of the company and write recaps for the blog.
Events Associate, Startupalooza, New York, NY (June 2014 – January 2015)
• Seek venues and prepare for and assist at monthly events where startups and investors meet.
Program Coordinator, Eden Village Camp, Putnam Valley, NY (Summer 2013, June 2014)
A nonprofit, startup environmental overnight camp for campers ages 9-16.
• Co-led a team of 15 activity specialists by creating agendas for and leading group meetings, problem solving with specialists one-on-one, delegating tasks and making schedules using GoogleDrive and Microsoft Excel.
• Edited press releases, pitched the media and arranged interviews.
Development Writer, Office of Development and Alumni Relations, University of Delaware (Oct. 2013 – May 2014)
• Wrote articles about important donors, students, department events and other topics for university publications.
• Drafted and edited thank you notes, condolence cards and other memos in the university president’s voice.
• Helped prepare for and assist at events for donors, representing the university in a professional manner.
Social Media Consultant, AgeWise Solutions, Newark, DE (Jan. – April 2014)
• Created and helped maintain the Facebook page for this geriatric care management company.
• Pitched, wrote and posted blog ideas like “Heart Health Round-up” and “Apps for Elders” on the Wix website.
The Review, University of Delaware, Newark, DE (Sept. 2010 – Dec. 2012)
The University of Delaware’s independent weekly newspaper, circulation of 10,000, udreview.com.
Managing news editor (Sept. – Dec. 2012)
• Managed five news desk editors, training them in and overseeing pitching, editing, and finding sources.
• Edited 15-20 news stories each week to completion, checking facts, AP style, context and overall flow.
• Worked with other editors to revise stories, write headlines and make news decisions.
Administrative news editor (Sept. 2011 – May 2012)
• Pitched five to eight stories weekly about university administration, employees, events and national trends.
• Managed five reporters weekly, guiding them through the writing and reporting process and editing their stories.
Staff reporter (Sept. 2010 – May 2011)
Digital and Breaking News Intern, The Journal News, White Plains, NY (Summer 2012)
Hudson Valley’s daily Gannett newspaper, lohud.com.
• Reported breaking news stories for the website daily on tight deadlines and took pictures on the scene.
• Wrote multiple articles for the print edition, including a front-page story about college orientation.
Sales, Marketing and Public Relations Intern, Nfoshare, Newark, DE (Sept. 2011– March 2012)
A startup website which connected students, tutors and professors in an online social forum, nfoshare.com.
• Marketed the business to professors and students in personal meetings and large class presentations.
• Contributed to evolution of company’s marketing strategy and business development.
Activities and Honors
• Oral Communication Fellow: Trained peer mentor assisting students with all aspects of delivering successful speeches, including outlines, idea development, transitions, theses and visual aids (Fall 2012 – May 2014)
• Recipient of Lindsey Marie Bonistall scholarship, $3,000, given to one UD journalism student each year (April 2013)
• 1st place awards from Delaware Press Association Communications Contest, collegiate division (March 2012, 2013)